Common name: Lion's Mane, Bearded Tooth Fungus, Hou Tou Gu (Monkey Head Mushroom), Pom Pom Mushroom, Hedgehog Mushroom
Part used: Fungal fruiting body
Habitat and Description: Lion's Mane mushroom tends to be the size of a football and has a shaggy toothed like appearance. It has long spines which dangle down and are said to resemble icicles, beards or hedgehog spines, hence its variety of descriptive names. It is native to Europe, Asia and North America and grows on decaying or dead hardwood trees, especially Beech trees.
Constituents: Polysaccharides, Erinacenol, Hericenes, Hericenones, Erinacerins A & B, Threitol, D-arabinitol, Palmitic acid, Phenolic compounds, Triterpenes, Fatty acids such as stearic acid and linoleic acid, Lectins, Lovastatin
Actions: Neurotrophic, adaptogen, neuroprotective, neuroregenerative, anti-inflammatory, insulinotropic, immunomodulatory, antioxidant, nootropic, anti-tumour, antibacterial
Traditional and current uses:
Lion's mane is often referred to as ‘Nature’s Nutrient for the Neurons' due to its effect on the production of nerve growth. Traditionally it has been used in China and Japan for many years to support brain health.
- Stimulates the production of NGF (nerve growth factor)
- Improves cognitive function
- Improves functional capacity in patients with Dementia
- Increases feelings of wellbeing and reduces feelings of anxiety, depression and insomnia
- Can reduce stomach ulcers
- Protects nerve cells from stress induced damaged, thereby acting as a potential preventative for disorders such as Alzheimers and Dementia
- Improves nerve cell repair after nerve damage
- Effective in improving cognitive impairment
- Improves memory and concentration
Disclaimer: The information on this website is provided for educational use only, and is not intended as a replacement for the services of a qualified medical herbalist, doctor or licensed health practitioner. The information contained herein is not diagnostic, always consult a medical health professional before embarking on a treatment programme. Urban Fringe Dispensary disclaims any liability, loss, injury or damage incurred as a consequence of the use and application of the advice given herein.