Tincture of bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus) 1:3 45%
Vaccinium myrtillus, organic grain alcohol
Daily adult dose of 9 - 18ml, unless otherwise prescribed.
Caution with high doses in patients with haemorrhagic disorders or patients on antiplatelet drugs.
Part used: Berries and leaves
Habitat: Native to Europe, North America and Asia. Predominantly found in woods, forest, meadows and moorlands.
History: Pilots during the second world war helped discover the positive effects of bilberry; through eating jars of bilberry jam they found their eyesight, and most notably night vision was significantly improved.
Constituents: Flavonoids including anthocyanins, Oligomeric proanthocyanins, Tannins, Fruit acids, Phenolic acids, Vitamin B1 & C, carotene and Pectin.
Actions: Antioxidant, Anti- inflammatory, Astringent, Circulatory tonic, Diuretic and urinary antiseptic (leaves)
• Used to treat acute and mild diarrhoea.
• Helps to strengthen blood vessels and is used intreatment of circulatory issues, especially in cases of inflammation.
• Used to treat varicose veins.
• Helps to treat eye related disorders including cataracts, glaucoma and poor night vision.
• Fruit known to have antimicrobial effects.
• Promotes healing of the tissue and promotes healing.
• Supports the urinary tract.
• Fluid retentinon.
Disclaimer: The information on this website is provided for educational use only, and is not intended as a replacement for the services of a qualified medical herbalist, doctor or licensed health practitioner. The information contained herein is not diagnostic, always consult a medical health professional before embarking on a treatment programme. Urban Fringe Dispensary disclaims any liability, loss, injury or damage incurred as a consequence of the use and application of the advice given herein.
Online products are coded with the following keys: