In the current emergency we will continue to provide our herbs and medicines to our registered patients and online customers. The website will continue to operate for the general public as long as stocks last. We have closed the shop, and contact is only available by phone, email, and video conferencing for patients. We will be available on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays. Herbs and medicines will be posted out on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Thank you for your support!
Dried root of Astragalus (Milk Vetch)
Dried root of Astragalus membrenaceous
Parts used: Root
Habitat: A sweet tasting member of the pea family, perennial and hardy, growing in zone 6, cooler or higher altitude, dry areas and native to northern Asia.
Constituents: Polysaccharides and triterpenoids, such as astragalosides. High flavonoid content. Isoflavones including kumatakenin, calycosin, and formononetin and their glycosides and malonates.
Actions: Tonic, Adaptogenic, Immune System Stimulator, Anti-inflammatory, Anti-viral (especially airborne viruses)
Traditional and current uses:
• One of the 50 Fundamental Plants in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
• To build up the immune system, but not to be taken during an active infection.
• As a preventative tonic for individuals who suffer recurrent UTIs, coughs or colds.
• Post-viral fatigue
• To increase stamina and endurance, particularly in younger people
• In China Astragalus is used to reduce the side effects of chemotherapy treatments and may even improve it's efficacy, though any complimentary cancer support should be under the direction of a health professional.
Disclaimer: The information on this website is provided for educational use only, and is not intended as a replacement for the services of a qualified medical herbalist, doctor or licensed health practitioner. The information contained herein is not diagnostic, always consult a medical health professional before embarking on a treatment programme. Urban Fringe Dispensary disclaims any liability, loss, injury or damage incurred as a consequence of the use and application of the advice given herein.
Online products are coded with the following keys: